The Summer Jolt
Let your inner sun, shine.
We asked our esteemed network of executives and board advisors for ONE single piece of career or life advice for the summer to give your inner consciousness a kindly Jolt.
From the serious to the esoteric, we hope they’ll get you thinking about how you can make your world a far more fulfilling place.
With much love and summer vibes, we present:
The Jolt Top 30 Thoughts For A Magical Summer.
1. Make a vow to keep exercising until you simply can’t do it anymore. Only accept your resignation from exercise when you’re in your late 90s.
2. Find moments you can set to music and sit quietly with your thoughts. The smaller and seemingly more insignificant those moments are, the better.
3. Banish forever the people who bring you any doubt.
4. Ignore everyone who says it’s too late, can’t be done, or who makes you feel like an outlier in your circle. Use your summer to plan your life’s vision.
5. Accept that things won’t always go your way, not because you missed them or failed, but because they just didn’t find you for a reason.
6. Nobody is thinking about you more than you. You are in the thoughts of others around you no more than 1% of the time. Don’t over-think what people think about you while you’re out of the office. Some won’t even notice you’re gone.
7. At least once a week, put a tea cozy on your head and pretend to be an absolute fucking maniac.
8. Work worries, literally, have no meaning or providence. We know it when the worry eventually lifts and we feel silly for worrying about it in the first place. Which always happens. Enjoy the summer. You’ll never have it again.
9. Reduce alcohol, simple carbs, and sugars and add vegetables, lean meats, fruit, and water. Now you don’t need to read any diet book ever again.
10. Self-advocacy and self-agency mean taking up space and being heard. You don’t need to be deferent to anyone, just be polite and respectful with a confident force of will. Try it!
11. The only bad thing about painting a room is the prep and the thought of the prep. Painting is marvelous, regenerative and the end result is all yours to own. It’s my motto for life.
12. Work your way up to a Phall.
13. Keep the relationships you want to keep like treasures in a box.
14. Try picking up litter. It’s oddly rewarding. Do it in front of young people for maximum social impact.
15. Ask lots of questions when you meet people on your travels this summer and be genuinely interested. Not only will they like you more, but you’ll also learn so much more about life.
16. Comparing yourself to others is inevitable and largely unavoidable. The secret is returning back to yourself as quickly as you can and moving forward.
17. Success is friends, moments, laughter, giving, and watching children grow - if you have them. If you don’t have them, nice dodge.
18. Spend 10 minutes in nature each day this summer. There’s a ton of science you don’t need to read about the benefits of doing it, but trust me, it really does rejuvenate your spirits & fire your creativity.
19. Don’t make assumptions. They stop us, trip us, lie to us and hold us back. Hunt facts. Then decide.
20. Heavily, recklessly & unashamedly over-invest in holidays and vacations.
Just like last summer, this summer will probably feel like it flew by all too fast, so start your summer thinking now.
With love, cocktails & finding your summer groove,